Thursday, June 24, 2010
1. How to Read Literature Like A Professor Ch. 1-7
I'll be frank - I just started reading this book a few hours ago and got this far. But in such a short span of time, I've learned a lot about literature! I've noticed some ties between literature before, but what really surprised me was the ties with Shakespeare and the Bible. Some examples are blatantly obvious, such as the short story "Obsolete" in Chuck Palahnuik's novel, Haunted ( a great book to read, especially around 3 o'clock in the morning), where he uses the biblical reference to Adam and Eve, and puts them in a world where death is humanity's way to " emigrate" to paradise. But after reading those 6 chapters, i tied it in with the readings that we read last year and found our literature to be way more interesting. Take Jay Gatsby in The Great Gatsby (groan 3rd period Riskind). Perhaps Jay Gatsby's death was a comparison to Jesus Christ's death, as they both die for obviously different reasons, but have an ideal to live a dream - Gatsby for Daisy, Jesus for peace on earth. Anyways, i'll continue to read and see how far i get in the next few hours so peace :]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment